Our services are unlike any child psychologist, counselor, therapist, etc. in the area.
As many parents have learned, traditional talk therapy/counseling is often counter-intuitive to how the male brain works. Treatment often looks like attempting to get boys to verbalize their innermost thoughts and feelings. In reality, most boys and young men don’t operate this way.
Additionally, parents of boys diagnosed with ADHD, anxiety with ADHD and related challenges have learned that traditional counseling does not address lagging social, executive functioning and emotional regulation skills associated with ADHD.
Families choose Ride the Wave Counseling because our approach is about teaching practical strategies and skills designed in a manner for how the male brain learns best. We do not simply sit in a room and talk about feelings week after week. Rather, we teach practical skills and strategies. Parents are always involved in learning with their children.
We understand from a male perspective how to make therapy a positive and productive experience for boys and young men who may have any aversion to participating based on their past experiences in counseling.
Skill we teach include:
- Learning how to develop close friendships with similar-age boys
- Managing video game/screen time so it is not one’s primary form of social connection
- Replacing self-defeating thoughts with realistic thoughts in order to improve self-esteem and self-confidence
- Managing emotions in an age-expected manner
- Overcoming social anxiety in order to spend time with peers in real life, not just through video games
- Developing motivation and resiliency to get through non-preferred tasks such as homework, chores, etc.
- Learning how to say “No” to peer pressure while still fitting in with one’s peer group
- Becoming more responsible for one’s school success
Ride the Wave Counseling is the only practice in South Jersey that specializes in working with boys and their parents. We welcome the opportunity to speak with you to discuss how we can help your son be the best version of himself.
Please contact us to discuss next steps, we look forward to meeting your family.